Thursday 9 July 2009

Our old boat! - A Springer Water Bug

As our boat is out of water until next week I thought I'd post a few pictures of 'Bellota' which was our previous boat and which we sold a while back! Bellota was fantastic; a little Springer Water Bug built in 1989 in Market Harborough.
We had some great times and this picture shows my dad at Foxton Locks in Leic on a trip we did in June 2007, just before the River Soar and everywhere else in the East Midlands flooded.





The is trip known to boaters as 'The Leicester Ring' and it's around 150 miles by water with loads of locks along The Trent and Mersey Canal, Coventry Canal, Oxford, Grand Union and others. This picture shows my dad (Ron) in front of the Leicester Space Centre. At the next lock a teenager jumped in the canal just as I opened the paddles and all the water rushed in...! What a nutter.






For the few years we had 'Bellota' we moored in Dobsons Yard in Shardlow and Sawley Marina, which leads me onto this picture. This is our friend Phamie who came to visit. The only problem with Sawley is when the River Trent floods you're stuck and can't go anywhere. This is one of those occasions, however determined to still going boating we had a beer on the boat.


For anyone interested Bellota is up for sale again. Her new owners didn't have her long and they're asking quite a bit more than I sold her for?


1 comment:

  1. I'me the new owner of Bellota having bought it from the people you sold her to. I probally paid less for her than you did since the then venders reduced the price and then accepted my offer for her. In the last 6 months she has taken me the full length of the Trent and Mersey to Stockton Heath on the Bridgewater and Ellesmere Port on the Shropshire Union. Much tooing and froing while doing so also. Harecastle Tunnel and Heartbreak hill as a single hander....Bell has performed pretty well....me to....Chris.

    ReplyDelete